The sweater I was ready to sew together last week is no more.
I knit Kelly once, but it was loose and sloppy because the pattern had the wrong needle size listed, and I did not think to check errata. I frogged it and started again.
I discovered a hole larger than a silver dollar in the back and had to reknit that.
I forgot the pattern book on the trip across country last September.
When I began to put the sweater together, I discovered that two stitches had entered freefall rather than be bound off right at the beginning of armscye. I cannot for the life of me figure that one out, especially as the bind off was not broken.
The pieces were not going together nicely.
All in all, the sweater was so burdened with negativity and I was, by this point, so actively hostile toward it, that I wanted to burn it. Only wool does not burn.
I decided to listen to the Knitting Fates and accept that this cardigan and I were simply not meant for each other. It is now 1600 yards of yarn.
I still need a navy blue cardigan and also a navy blue pullover. I do not know which it will become, but I am casually browsing Ravelry trying to decide.
When I start a pattern, I go through and highlight all the numbers corresponding to the size I am making. My second setback came when I realized that I had marked the numbers for one size in the first half of the pattern and for a different size in the second half of the pattern for Sarah Dallas’ Lace Top from Rowan’s Scottish Highland Knits.
is now this
I really do not want to talk about how many times I cast on before getting to this stunning level of progress, but it is at least started, in the correct size, with the correct numbers circled in red.
I also had about four rows done on Meandering, when it occurred to me that I was in a horrible state of denial.
As I was knitting I came to a spot where one of the plies had popped or broken, so I had one ply and pieces of the other. I had attempted to line them up and knit past them.
After the problems with Kelly, I decided I was just asking for that remaining ply to break and ruin a lovely lace stole, so I frogged back the four rows, cut out the broken bits and cast on using the interestingly named Chinese Waitress cast on, which is extraordinarily stretchy. It is a lovely cast one, but I don’t know why a stole needs a stretchy cast on.
But then, I don’t know why holes suddenly appeared in my sweater or why I can’t mark sizes consistently or any number of other things that have gone wrong with my knitting lately.
It is time to hit the RESET button.